CulturePop: Funding for Artistic Activations

Applications closed, stay tuned for more details!

What outdoor, socially-safe arts programming can you and your organization dream up?

In an experimental shift, this year’s CulturePop program calls for new ideas for and approaches to outdoor, physically-distanced arts programming in downtown Detroit and is presented in partnership with the Rocket Community Fund and the Downtown Detroit Partnership. CultureSource member organizations are invited to apply for $5,000 to activate select downtown parks with logistically-simple arts and cultural programming during the month of December. The application window has now closed; Stay tuned for more information on CulturePop 2021.


The CulturePop program funds simple, quick arts and culture activations in Downtown Detroit spaces in efforts to help arts and culture organizations build new audiences and continue their work in public space. Each year, the program serves as a challenge for CultureSource membership to adapt in-person programming to various parameters.

Proposed projects should be logistically-simple, encourage physical-distancing, and focus on what would make a passerby stop, watch, learn, and participate, in a wintery setting. Proposed projects can be adapted tried-and-true programs or newly developed, innovative programs – both of which we see as ‘experimental’ due to the cold climate and physical-distancing mandates.

In Collaboration With

Apply for CulturePop


Eligible applicants to the program are CultureSource member organizations. For questions regarding your organization’s current membership status or to become a member, please visit our membership page.

CulturePop: Funding for Artistic Activations is open for receiving applications. Grant amounts are $5,000 each and ten (10) grants will be awarded. A portion of funds should be used to pay for in-person activation expenses including paying artists, staffing costs, supplies, and other project costs. The remaining portion can be used for general operating support, knowing arts organizations and their programming are facing financial hardship during this time. CulturePop grant program applications are due by November 16, 2020, 5:00 pm.

Organizations receiving an award will be expected to participate in an approximately 30-minute reflection session to share their work and learnings with fellow CultureSource member organizations.


We know and respect that in this crisis environment you are making difficult choices each day about allocating your time and energy. As you decide whether to invest in applying to this grant program, please consider the following:

  • One application per CultureSource member organization.
  • Activations must adhere to and promote physical distancing; the more innovative the approach, the more exciting the application and activation!
  • Activations will take place outdoors starting in the month of December and will continue into January, so consider the factors of temperature and weather when considering your activation, the logistics, and production.
  • Grantees will receive 80% of funding prior to the activation (upon signing the contract) and the remaining 20% following the completion of their activation.
  • CultureSource, Downtown Detroit Partnership, and Rocket Community Fund have no idea what activity will look like in downtown Detroit public spaces this holiday and winter season, so audience size may be sporadic and unpredictable.
  • Direct expenses of activations will vary: some applicants may choose to use all of the funding for production of their activation, others will use just a sliver. We encourage organizations to focus on the creativity of their proposed project rather than worry about allocating direct expenses.
  • Please take good care to ensure your application is complete and correct. Reviewers will not have the ability to ask for clarification in the case that applications have missing or incorrect information.

Decisions will be made by a committee of CultureSource partners and peers.


For questions about eligibility and application content, please contact CultureSource programs manager Adam DesJardins: or (313) 831-1151.

Stay In The Know

Don't miss a thing!

Do you want to get the latest updates on this grantmaking program, straight to your inbox? Subscribe to the Culturesource mailing list today to get all of the latest updates on this program, and more!

Get CultureSource Emails

Stay Current with CultureSource!

Subscribe Now