CultureSource is a member association for non-profit arts and cultural organizations in Southeast Michigan serving the following seven counties: Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw, Livingston, Monroe and St. Clair. As a regional service organization, we do this work through hosting professional development workshops that grow creative and leadership capacities, presenting programs that provide space for exchanging ideas about arts and culture, and leading initiatives that bring together stakeholders interested in the public accessing creative expression.
Our MISSION is to advance the work of organizations that cultivate creative and cultural expression in Southeast Michigan.
Our VISION is of flourishing Southeast Michigan communities that visibly benefit from a diverse and thriving arts and culture sector, which itself receives indispensable support from CultureSource.
Our GUIDING PRINCIPLES are as follows:
- We are at our best when we work with partners and as connectors and instigators.
- A solid financial core is essential to our capacity to serve.
- We must embrace contemporary culture at its core and edges.
- Cultural organizations of all sizes can be valued as community anchors.
- We speak clearly, respectfully, and inclusively.
- We have a responsibility to elevate voices historically oppressed by privilege.
- We believe creativity is fundamental.
Our STATEMENT ON CULTURE, always evolving and in draft form, was developed and is maintained with our young leaders group, CultureMakers. (version 7 here)
Founded in 2007 as the Cultural Alliance of Southeastern Michigan, on January 1, 2013, we became CultureSource, the source for arts and culture in southeast Michigan. With its establishment, CultureSource filled a void major organizations identified in the region based on shared needs for capacity building, advocacy and marketing resources, welcoming small and mid-size organizations into the conversation. Quickly, CultureSource grew from 32 member organizations to 72, now serving over 170 annually.