Training Ensembles Operations Coordinator
The internationally acclaimed Detroit Symphony Orchestra, the fourth-oldest symphony orchestra in the United States, is known for trailblazing performances, visionary maestros, and collaborations with the world’s foremost musical artists. Esteemed conductor Leonard Slatkin, called “America’s Music Director” by the Los Angeles Times, became the 12th Music Director of the DSO during the 2008-09 season. The DSO offers a year-round performance schedule that includes classical, pops, jazz, young people’s concerts and festivals. The DSO makes its home in historic Orchestra Hall, one of America’s most acoustically perfect concert halls, and actively pursues a mission to impact and serve the community through music. For more information visit www.dso.org.
The Training Ensembles Operations Coordinator is a pivotal member of the Community & Learning team at the DSO. Reporting to the General Manager of Training Ensembles, the Training Ensembles Operations Coordinator works directly with students, families, teaching faculty, administrative staff, orchestra musicians, and community partners to implement music education and enrichment programs of the highest quality. These programs include the training ensembles of the Wu Family Academy, and community-based partnerships.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with the General Manager of Training Ensembles, the Training Ensembles Recruitment and Student Services Coordinator and other education staff to manage the Training Ensembles of the Wu Family Academy
- Responsible for supervision of various part-time education staff
- Prepares materials and oversees part-time staff and performs other duties as necessary to ensure a smooth running and high-impact musical experience for students by developing appropriate relationships with students, parents, and faculty and providing outstanding customer service to these constituents
- Schedule facilities for all training ensemble rehearsals, concerts and events
- Manages databases, tracking documents, evaluation tools, calendars, and schedules for all training ensembles.
- Responds to requests for information from both internal and external sources.
- Manages ongoing phones and email communications with all constituents
- Works as house manager for rehearsals and concerts
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Position Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Strong organization, communication, and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with a wide variety of stakeholders, including musicians, staff, students, families, community members, and leaders in the field
- Able to work Saturdays and other non-traditional working hours
- Ability to operate in a PC network environment and proficiency with all Microsoft Office programs and Google online apps.
Preferred Position Qualifications
- Degree and/or experience in music, arts administration, music education, music business or a closely related field
- Experience working in youth education or development
- Experience working with diverse and underserved populations
- Knowledge of the communities and schools of the Detroit metropolitan area
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Dynamic self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit who can think strategically and with imagination
- Passionate about improving people’s lives through music education and enrichment
- Commitment to fostering a positive work environment
- Action-oriented, decisive, quick study with proven ability to accurately analyze information and act
- A positive attitude and the ability to provide superior customer service
- Sensitive to the needs of individuals and utilizes strong interpersonal skills to pursue the best outcomes in all relationships
- Responds to challenges with tenacity, integrity and patience
- Strategist that is motivated by deadlines and measurable outcomes
Primary Supervisory Responsibility: Shared supervision of part-time education staff, vendors, interns and consultants
Primary Reporting Responsibility: General Manager of Training Ensembles
Works closely with: Community & Learning, Artistic Operations, Advancemet, Stage Crew, Audience Development, Communications and community partners