We seek a talented, energetic, driven, and creative individual to provide support to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s individual, corporate, foundation, and special events fundraising campaigns. The Coordinator will join an Advancement Department capable of meeting the DSO’s contributed revenue requirements for general operating support, endowment, and other special needs or projects.
Our ability to build relationships with our patrons and ensure a sustainable revenue base is only as good as the systems we have in place to handle their contributions in a timely, accurate, and respectful manner.
As a key member of the Advancement Department and the Stewardship Team, the Coordinator is responsible for the acknowledgement of all contributions received, manages additional stewardship touches for major donors, executes systems for the collection of all pledges, and serves as a power user in the DSO’s patron database.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Sending a timely and comprehensive acknowledgement of every gift received by the DSO, paying special attention to gifts from board members, Governing Members, corporations, foundations, and other major donors.
- Work closely with Gift Processing Coordinator (Finance Department) and gift officers to prepare custom language and personalized acknowledgement letters for significant contributions to the oneDSO Campaign and all other key gifts of $10,000 or more. Coordinating additional personalized acknowledgements from the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President, DSO Musicians and external volunteers.
- Ensuring the swift payment of all pledge balances through the coordination and preparation of regular pledge reminders and invoices.
- Responsible for preparing the Honorarium and Memoriam section of Performance Magazine.
- Serving as a database power user for the Advancement Department, including comprehensive data extraction, list management and weekly reporting of Governing Members and VIP ticket holders.
- Facilitate birthday, anniversary, special occasion cards and cultivation touches for Governing Members and VIP’s.
- Fulfill donor benefits to the Community Ensemble and oversee development/procurement of “premiums,” stationery and stewardship supplies.
- Prepare corporate, foundation and individual donor invoices as requested by Advancement Staff.
- Rotational responsibility of managing the DSO Friends phone line and email box, addressing the concerns and needs of patrons with exceptional customer service.
- Act as staff liaison at DSO events and the Donor Lounge approximately 1-3 times per month.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Experience in a nonprofit organization and an understanding of fundraising required. A minimum of one year of fundraising, database, or transferable experience preferred.
- Superior computer skills required. Must be a Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel power user. Demonstrated experience with mail merges a plus.
- Experience with fundraising or patron databases required. Familiarity with Tessitura a plus.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with staff and patrons.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and an ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to focus intently on the task at hand with the utmost attention to detail and an intense commitment to accuracy.
- Ability to treat confidential and private information with discretion.
- Interest in the arts and/or classical music a plus.
Manager, Advancement Services Works closely with: Vice President and Chief Development Officer, Senior Director of Advancement and Gift Officers across individual, corporate, and foundation giving, and other members of the Advancement and Finance teams.