Patron Services Assistant
University Musical Society
Ann Arbor, MI
To assist in coordination of operations for a multi-faceted patron services office. Hands-on position includes selling subscription and single tickets for over 150 live events in up to 9 different venues for UMS, the U-M School of Music, Theatre, and Dance (SMTD) and Ann Arbor Summer Festival (A2SF). Manage night of performance front-of-house and ticket office activities required in the production events plus other venue-related activities in various performance venues. Coordinates with the full time Patrons Services staff to ensure oversight and direction of student assistants and volunteer ushers. This is a 20-29 hour/week temporary appointment through the standard academic year with the option of renewing through the summer and following season. Week-to-week schedules can be flexible. Evenings and weekends required.
Patron Services Support (40%)
- Provide excellent customer service by phone, email, and in-person, with internal and external customers.
- Accurately process ticket orders by phone and in person, including cash, check and credit card handling.
- Assist in the supervision of student assistants. Work with the UMS Ticket Office full time staff to train, coach, and ensure a healthy work environment.
- Work with student assistants and full time staff to troubleshoot and solve complex customer issues.
- Assist full time staff with special projects related to ticket sales preparation, office organization, data management, group sales, and scheduling for UMS, SMTD and A2SF.
- Attend weekly UMS Production meetings when required.
- Perform closing duties such as reconciling receipts of cash, checks and credit cards both in the office and online as well as preparing End of Day reports for Finance and Administration.
Front of House Support (30%)
- Serve as the primary UMS front-of-house representative at designated performances, demonstrating excellent customer service regarding critical issues such as ticketing problems, late seating, crowd control, and general public relations.
- When serving as the primary front-of-house representative at UMS performances, supervise the volunteer usher corps on duty as well as compensated head ushers and student assistants. The number of direct reports per event can vary from 10 people to over 100 people.
- When assigned to a performance work with Front of House Coordinator and UMS staff to ensure performance venues are appropriately staffed, relevant Front-of-House policies are enforced, and communication with backstage staff and venue management staff is effective and efficient.
- With guidance of Front-of-House Coordinator, generate event report for assigned performances and coordinate placement and set-up of signage at UMS events to ensure uniformity and maximum brand exposure, facilitating the creation and/or delivery of such signs as needed.
- Serve as the secondary contact for a 400-person volunteer usher corps, assist with orientation sessions and facilitating communication between UMS production staff, venue staff, and ushers.
Night of Show Ticket Office Support (30%)
- Ensure timely set-up and take down of temporary, night-of ticket offices at various venues on and off U-M’s campus.
- Serve as the primary UMS, SMTD or A2SF ticket sales representative at designated performances, demonstrating excellent customer service and successful oversight of student assistants, ticket office sales, will call, and ticket lobby traffic flow.
- Coordinate with Front of House staff, both UMS and University Productions (UPROD), to ensure accurate recording of performance attendance, resolve seating issues, and achieve the goal of providing the best customer experience possible.
- Work with production and marketing staff to insure accurate distribution of complementary and other tickets provided to artists, sponsors, media partners, staff, or other special performance guests.
- Professional experience strongly desired in customer service, house or event management, ticket office or public relations.
- Available to work a minimum of 20 hours per week during normal business hours.
- Ability to work additional hours in the evening and on weekends. Strong leadership qualities.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Ability to remain organized and communicate well under pressure.
- A high level of dependability and professional work ethic.
- Able and excited about working independently and as part of a team.
- Strong writing skills to prepare correspondence, reports, and schedules.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Comfortable using and learning new technology.
- Knowledge of and interest in artists presented and Tessitura ticketing software desired but not required.
Click here for more information and to apply online.