The Executive Director is the key management leader of ArtPrize. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Based in the great city of Grand Rapids, MI, the ArtPrize organization produces open citywide contemporary art experiences that encourage critical discourse, celebrate artists, transform urban space and promote cultural understanding.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading ArtPrize in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support ArtPrize’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of ArtPrize, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of ArtPrize’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that ArtPrize can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of ArtPrize’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible effective administration of ArtPrize operations.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
1. Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
2. Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
3. Strategic planning and implementation.
4. Planning and operation of annual budget.
5. Serve as ArtPrize’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
6. Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance ArtPrize’s Mission.
7. Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues.
8. Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
9. Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
10. Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
11. Review and approve contracts for services.
12. Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
Professional Qualifications Needed
- A bachelor’s degree or greater.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor and sponsor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
In other words, a stellar applicant will embody…
These core values
- Deep appreciation and passion for art, design, innovation
- Entrepreneurial spirit and mentality
- Natural connection, familiarity and desire to be in Michigan
- Intense desire to invest time and energy into the organization for a significant period of time
- Values self-improvement through self-discovery, feedback and exploration
- Appreciation for people, community and the betterment of society
- Advocates for diversity, equity and inclusion in professional and personal relationships
- Genuine interest in people and receiving multiple points of view to better inform the bigger picture
- A desire to be the best one can be, and in turn, extends that expectation into their professional life and the teams they lead
These core abilities
- Fundraising and sponsor development
- Depth of experience working with diverse audiences and communities
- Ability to set a clear and compelling strategic vision and to sell/storytell this to the community, staff, sponsors and other regional arts organizations
- Strong leader with a management style that fosters an entrepreneurial spirit, team growth, exploration and innovation
- Track record of leading an organization and inspiring innovation
- Demonstrated ability to build a talented, diverse, successful team
- Experience collaborating with a diverse group of individuals from different cultural, economic and geographic backgrounds
- Proven track record of navigating and engaging a diverse audience with contradictory points of view and interests
- Exhibits top-tier professional attributes and has demonstrated successful upward and downward management of a board and staff
- Ability to remain cool and calm under pressure and inspire those around them
- Ability to be nimble, think on their feet and pivot quickly if necessary
- Ability to be ahead of the curve, forward thinking and strategic
- Have an authentic connection and gravitational pull to ArtPrize and Grand Rapids
- Have deep experience in a like-minded organization or company
- Intrinsic understanding of the value of ArtPrize and its unique value proposition
- Ability to communicate the cultural value and economic impact of the organization in a multitude of ways for a multitude of stakeholders