Sidewalk Detroit is dedicated to improving livability in Detroit neighborhoods and public spaces through the lens of creativity, arts and culture. We are passionate about the power of engagement with residents and artists to create effective, long lasting and sustainable plans for public space. We complete this work through deep engagement with residents and artists, place-based event production and creative space planning.
The Engagement Coordinator will organize the day to day operations and strategy implementation of Sidewalk Detroit’s public engagement practice. This role works in close collaboration with Executive Director on a wide range of consulting projects related to public space projects and will include frequent interfacing with space and design professionals. The Engagement Coordinator serves as a liaison and thought partner between Sidewalk Detroit and city planners, architects and community leaders. Position reports to Executive Director.
● Coordinate a variety of public and private meetings with community partners, stakeholders and venues. Meetings include but are not limited to information sessions, collaborative workshops, small and large group sessions and partner meetings
● Coordinate logistics of community focused special events and feedback sessions
● Research and collaborate with community leaders and residents on public space projects
● Prepare presentations and documents for public engagement projects and special events
● Prepare summaries of public engagement events for newsletters related to public engagement
● Select food items/menus for meetings and events
● Compile and interpret public engagement results in collaboration with project director
● Client liaison for public engagement projects
● Conduct neighborhood/community specific research
● Maintain engagement calendar
● Coordinate day of event team for engagement events
● Adhere to Sidewalk Detroit Working Agreements
● Participate in Sidewalk Detroit staff meetings and retreats
● Serve as ambassador and advocate for Sidewalk Detroit programs
● Maintain ongoing knowledge of Sidewalk Detroit programs and partners
● Participate in professional development programs as opportunities arise
The Engagement Coordinator must have a love for community development, interest or experience in arts and culture, and a love for interfacing with residents. Additionally:
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Ability/desire to work flexible hours with evening availability. Our engagement sessions are organized around community preferences and will include evening sessions
● Ability to learn and adapt quickly
● Experience with event planning and non-profit administration a plus
This is position is part-time and will range from 20-30 hours per week, with the potential for advancement. Rate is $18-$20 per hour dependent upon experience.