Director of Development
Leadership and Planning (15%)
- Strategy: Participate in the implementation and monitoring of Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit’s strategic plan.
- Leadership: Work in tandem with the Artistic Director, Fund Development Committee and individual Board Members to develop new opportunities and donor engagement to support programmatic growth.
- Annual Planning: Develop annual fundraising plans and goals, drawing from a 3-year strategic plan; communicate plans and build engagement across audiences.
- Special Opportunities: Serve on the leadership team assessing expansion opportunities, donor and partner-initiated campaigns, and external marketing partnerships.
- Relationship Management: Develop and maintain relationships with major donors.
Individual Giving (30%)
- Lead efforts to identify, cultivate, solicit, and acknowledge current and prospective individual donors.
- Enhance and launch a major giving program.
- Plan and oversee the execution of an integrated annual appeal campaign.
- Facilitate board engagement in fund development.
Institutional Giving (30%)
- Manage strategic relationships for Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit’s existing and potential institutional funders.
- Lead research, writing, and submission of foundation, corporate, and government proposals and reports, as well as, oversee grant-writing contractor.
- Oversee the maintenance of and disseminate a calendar for proposal submissions and reports.
- Coordinate funder site visits, engagement and cultivation opportunities.
- Design and launch an enhanced corporate giving strategy and support Board Members and stakeholder’s engagement with the strategy.
- Oversee the development and implementation of brand-conscious campaigns to increase awareness about the mission of Mosaic and to support project-based programming and fundraising events.
- Serve as a credible and compelling spokesperson on behalf of the organization.
- Manage relationships with partners to foster joint communication efforts.
- Oversee contracted graphic design resources in the development of related collateral.
- Assess, manage/oversee fund development media relations projects.
Managerial and General Responsibilities (10%)
- Serve as the staff contact person for the contracted grant writer.
- Provide regular progress reports covering all aspects of organizational fundraising.
- Collect, maintain, and analyze data from the programs team and the field of arts education & creative youth development to assist with solicitation.
- Act as a staff liaison to the Board of Director’s Development Committee and support event committees and the Patrons Council.
- Support office administrative activities as necessary.
Desired Skills and Experience
- AFP membership
- Valid Driver’s License and access to insured vehicle
What we’re looking for in a candidate:
- Ability and desire to manage tasks, from administrative to strategic.
- Create annual fund development plans, drawing from organizational strategic plan, to raise $1 million + annually
- Experience in fostering a culture of collaboration, cooperation, and accountability
- Inquiry-based orientation to problem solving and gathering information
- Ability to plan, facilitate, and approach meetings and projects with clearly articulated goals
- Active listener with the ability to synthesize information and translate into strategy or action plans
- Superior verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work closely with people from diverse cultures and economic backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and solve problems
- Proven track record of grant awards and fundraising success
- Self-motivation, accuracy, attention to detail, and ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines
- Exceptional computer skills; familiar with and able to adapt to new software systems
- Three (3) years progressive experience in a diverse fund development environment
- Experience creating and implementing or overseeing integrated communications plans.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort with a range of stakeholders including high-level donors and patrons
- Ability to handle a multitude of details simultaneously in a timely and professional manner
- Passion for arts or arts education and youth development.
- A professional, polished appearance and comportment Additional Attributes The successful candidate will embrace the essential components of a strong team: open communication, trust, respect, loyalty, and shared vision.
Compensation: $53,000-60,000 commensurate with experience.
Benefits include generous paid time off and health insurance.