To be considered for this position, candidates must include a cover letter specifying their interest in and qualifications for this position and include two to three writing samples. The writing samples can be links to work that show both short and long term writing or products, and may include finished video links that includes script written by the writer. All materials should be uploaded as one document.
The Communications Manager will help promote the University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance’s mission and brand by maximizing the impact of content created. You will provide leadership in planning, writing and editing for platforms including the biannual publication Muse. This newly created position will help create written content to resonate with all SMTD audiences. You will report directly to the Director of Marketing and Communications and is part of the SMTD Advancement Team.
- Write content for digital and traditional platforms focused on SMTD programs, student experience, faculty, donor and alumni stories, performance and events, faculty research,
donor support and community impact.
- Create and develop integrated communications strategies combining public relations, marketing and fundraising communications.
- Contribute to a content strategy that supports admissions, events and fundraising programs, assisting in the determination and evaluation of which methods work and why.
- Oversee the editorial process for SMTD’s Muse Magazine; include idea generation, writing features, contracting freelance contributors, overseeing artwork and photography selection and editing. You will also work with contracted design and print vendors throughout the process.
- Develop and edit inspirational letters, stories, profiles, news and announcements for distribution to students, faculty, donors, alumni, and prospective students and supporters.
- Share content and pitch to UM channels (i.e. Michigan Today and The Record) and a variety of external media outlets.
- Assist with the development and editing of talking points for leadership at events such as donor receptions, symposiums and commencement.
- Ensure all content is on-brand, concerning style, quality and voice, and optimized for user experience (including online, social media, email, mobile, video, print and in-person).
- Write both short and long scripts for marketing videos.
- Provide content for all social channels.
- Take projects from start to finish.
- Plan for and produce content for all platforms to engage and attract the next generation of SMTD students, donors and audience members.
- Foster a culture that appreciates gathering and interpreting data analytics to help make informed decisions. Use data and searchable analytics to think about content, platforms, audiences, time and user experience.
- A bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field with 4 or more years of relevant experience.
- Successful editorial experience, including proficiency in Chicago style.
- Skill at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation, and distribution strategies.
- Experience creating communications for distribution across multiple platforms.
- Work in a networked way, emphasizing collaboration.
- Success in operating within higher education or complex organizations, and relating to and understanding members outside the immediate department.
- In-depth knowledge of digital and social landscapes.
- Capability for managing multiple, diverse projects simultaneously and for creating and directing creative work.
- Clear articulation of the business goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- Project management skills including management of editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns.
- Familiarity with University of Michigan structure, resources, and policies, preferred.
- Experience in the performing arts while not a requirement is preferable.
- Familiarity working with graphic design technologies (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop).
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future.
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage